February 20, 2016

Like Breath on Glass.

February, Colorado.
Though it was never given a name or easy identity, there once was a school of thought and work that celebrated art that encouraged completion by the viewer.








Nocturnes were common themes, and paints so thin, applications so patient, that brushwork was nowhere evident. Around the turn of the 20th Century, James McNeill Whistler was one its signature proponents.









An exhibition in 2008 featured these works, which were seen by George Innes as imbued with spiritual significance. The New York Times summarized this work in a thoughtful and perceptive review of the exhibit.


I'm coming to understand that all true works of art invite a dialogue, a relationship, between artist and viewer. I thought the book of the exhibit would make an important contribution to my library. Discovering the softcover versions starting at $193, used, I quickly reconsidered.



Instead, I borrowed a copy from the interlibrary loan service of the Boulder Public Library, and kept it until it was long overdue.

Still, I dream of it.

No comments: