November 16, 2015

Jeremy Browne.

Low Moon Rising.
A November storm is brewing on this Monday afternoon, and I've taken a break to see what's happening in the larger world, beyond the walls of my study. I find a notice from Western Art & Architecture Magazine, pointing me to Insight Gallery, in Fredericksburg, Texas, for works by a young man from Ontario Canada.

It stops me in my tracks. Takes my breath away.

Time stops--beauty.

He paints in the wintertime, when the light is unobstructed and he can watch its effects, study the way it falls. Many of his images are of nighttime stillness, moonlit, reflected light off snow.

With his emphasis on geometry--most vantage points are directly square to the surfaces of his structures--and his use of subtle settings, the shadows and textures whisper, invite lingering.

I haven't seen his response to the question of his artistic influences, but clearly the artist owes a debt to Mr Wyeth, whether he recognizes it or not. Subjects, seasons, sense of place are all familiar.

I seldom think more color adds more power--much preferring the muted tones of spent nature--but in this case I admit it stirs something in me. I think it's the lighting.

Jeremy Browne.

No comments: