April 14, 2016

Edmund deWaal, potter.

Once again I encounter an artist who has made my heart sing, and discover I've yet to include his work in this journal.

How could I do this?

Edmund de Waal is, despite his Dutch-sounding name, and Englishman. His father was the Dean of Canterbury Cathedral, in fact. Early in his formal education he elected to study in Japan under a master potter, and the influence is clear.

His work is marked by what might be called meta-pottery: he produces vast numbers of individual pieces, then selects from among those and creates visual displays with fine cabinetry and exquisite lighting effects. Virtually all of his works feature a simple white, black or earth-tone glaze.

Extraordinary.

I see this one and think of musical notes, perhaps Erik Satie or Arvo Part.


I could post images all day.


No comments: