January 12, 2020

Cosmic Cathedrals.

Frederico Scarchilli
After years of basking in images and fantasies of cathedral spaces, I've come in my studies to what I consider the archetype.

Romanesque cathedrals, with features of early Roman architecture, are simple and unadorned in their structures, coming from a tradition that considers darkness a feature that nourishes spiritual experience.

Gothic structures exploded with light, the engineering allowing for windows, thinner shells, vast open spaces. They also come with elaborate fancywork in sculpture and stained glass, full to overflowing with symbolism and content.

Bridging the developmental period from Romanesque to Gothic are the Cistercian cathedrals, based on the simplicity of life supported and encouraged by followers of St Benedict.

This Italian Cistercian Cathedral seems just right. Simple, and washed through and through with light.

I discovered this image in the architecture website ArchDaily.

Scarchilli's work is deserving of many hours of immersion.


Now I turn to the Cistercian tradition to see how this reflects the development of my deeper spiritual world. To my great surprise--or not--the abbey down the road from my small rural home is a Benedictine center. I've watched and supported its development for decades now. I'll be visiting again soon with a new and more appreciative openness.

No comments: