December 15, 2019

Stickwork at the Denver Botanic Garden Farm.



Coming over a slight rise in the trail, I saw a large plant-animal nestled at the foot of a grove of cottonwood trees, perhaps sleeping on a snowy December morning.

As we approached, the willow branches became visible.The creature lay still. Strangely peaceful.

Fell Swoop, it's called. Created over several weeks by Patrick Dougherty and a team of volunteers, it's a permanent resident at the Chadwick site of the Denver Botanic Gardens. Except permanent is a relative term. Like Andy Goldsworthy's work, Fell Swoop is intended to age in place, slowly turning to compost as it returns to earth.

I came to this place as a surprise birthday gift from my family. Invited to go for a ride, we drove three hours from home in the high country near the Wyoming border. I tried to anticipate where we might be going, guessing to myself all along the distance, through the metropolitan Front Range.



My family knows of my near-obsession with land art, which I act out on our three-acre wetland / meadow / aspen and pine grove land in Larimer County. Just this summer I was invited to participate in the creation of a Peace Garden in the middle of our willow grove. This meant no fewer than seven utility trailers of dead willow branches being hauled to the slash pile.

So I speak from close experience when I recognize the work of assembling Fell Swoop.

Like all fine land art, the human hand and imagination enhances the world it inhabits, slowing me down to truly appreciate the beauty of Place.



No comments: