December 27, 2014

From a Tiny Ad.

Cathedral in Milan, 22x30, shared by Angela Barbalace.

I first caught glimpse of this image in a small (1.75in x 2.5in) ad the artist herself placed in Southwest Art Magazine. I was really hoping to see it at larger view, and wasn't disappointed that she'd posted it at her blog.

Even more than my affinity for cathedrals, I was drawn to the monochrome color scheme and her ability to communicate so much with such a limited palette. Beyond that, I love the ethereal quality it gives to what was originally built in such massive stone--a masterly interpretation. On enlargement I'm not so sure about the shifting perspectives of the various architectural elements, but the concept is worth spending time with.

I've subscribed to this magazine as one of the many places I turn for the inspiration I often get from seeing the work of some other artists who explore the more-or-less Realist tradition. Long ago I discovered that images are more interesting and valuable to me if they have some even marginally-related text accompanying them.

Reading the magazine over time, I find myself growing weary of the investor-focused text here, the sense that it's not much more than hawking wares in the marketplace. I shouldn't be too surprised--it bills itself as The Collector's Choice. I'll probably allow my subscription to lapse when it expires, another in a long series of decisions to filter out commercial intrusions in life.

No comments: