March 14, 2014

Norbert Gouneutte.

My usual style: I come across a work of art I like, I locate a copy of it at Google Images, then find out a bit about the artist.

Time and again I seem to be drawn to landscapes with buildings. This one originally came to me as an etching, but the search produced essentially the same graphic as a near-monochrome oil.

The Boulevard de Clichy Under Snow was created in 1876, when the artist was 22 years old. Somehow I find the subject matter, the context captured, the accurate and complex perspectives, most of all the subtle earth-tones, all a bit remarkable for a young man. Especially knowing that he was a contemporary and friend of Renoir and was at the periphery of the entire Impressionism movement, a city-scape seems an unlikely subject.

But that's what he did.

No comments: