March 17, 2014

Leaving Estes Park.

Driving south on Colorado State Highway 7, we approach the city limits of town on a foggy afternoon. As we crest the hill on the ascent out of town, looming before us in the mist are the layers, mountain after mountain.

Continuing the theme I've been exploring, once again I love the effect of the road splitting the bottom of the image. Without the sense of scale and the hint--really a tiny percentage of the pixels devoted to it--this would just be another beautiful mountain. The road invites me in, invites me down, conjures all of my memories for the day.

Suddenly I recall the elk we had seen at Rocky Mountain National Park, the kid stories we shared at the Subway shop, the tiny purple blossoms on the plant we bought at the greenhouse covered in sunshade fabric.

A sweet day of quiet adventure in our mountain neighborhood. All recalled in one magic image of mountains in the mist.

Driving south, to home.

No comments: