December 10, 2020

Winter Landscape.

https://cdn.gardenista.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Frank_Heijligers__van-Nature_Photography-16.jpg

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us.

Though spoken by Winston Churchill in a different context--the rebuilding of London after the blitz of World War II--the words speak of an eternal truth.

Over the years now of living in the mountain country, watching the seasons come and go, I've become acutely aware of the power of the world I live in to influence my spirit and my energy. Last year we had significant snow on the ground for seven months.

I find I've been shaped into planting an increasingly winter-glorious space where I live. The possibilities are endless for making beauty outside my window, warming my heart inside and out.

Our Colorado cities are inspiring to me. Public places are full of surprises along roads and parkways. Corporate offices invite full displays of rich, complex plantings. The University campus finds more and more niches to hide secret surprises in, even in the dark of winter. 

The low sun of the dark season backlights stalks and seedheads, even brighter when a light frost welcomes our mornings.

Gardenista.com, part of my regular health regimen, offers an installment here.

 https://cdn.gardenista.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Frank-Heijligers-Dutch-Winter-Garden-Grasses-9.jpg

No comments: