August 13, 2015

Charley Hunter.

Harlow Fog, 2015. Water-based oil and encaustic, on linen.
I've saved images of this guy's work about a half-dozen times, intending to memorialize them, but haven't gotten around to posting them here.

Each time I encounter one I stop and ponder it. The mystery draws me in, like a magnet, and holds me right at the edge. I can't quite complete the story, but I'm just short. Dynamic place, unsettling.

So I study the technique, read about Charley the person. Then return to the image to gaze into its depths again.

His palette:
raw umber
oxide red
deep green
ultramarine blue
titanium buff
raw sienna
He's also a noteworthy, colorful guy, irreverent, with not a little Fool in him.

Inspiring in his work and in his life

Did I mention he loves the railroad?

No comments: